Friday, April 6, 2012

I Made a Skirt From a Mens Shirt!

I made a pencil skirt from my husband's old dress shirt! This is the first thing I've actually made from pinterest. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. I will include all of my pics with a brief description. The much-more-detailed link that I found on pinterest is: http://www.adventuresindressmaking.com/2010/04/one-of-greatest-mens-shirt-makeovers.html. Be aware that I modified the waistband from the instructions on the posted link because I didn't want my skirt to have a high waist.


Find an old dress shirt that your husband won't wear anymore or buy one from goodwill.


Remove the pocket if desired. The pocket on this shirt was too large and I didn't think it would look right, so I removed it. Be aware that the coloring under the pocket could be brighter/darker if the shirt has been washed several times.


Cut the sleeves off of the shirt.


Cut straight across the front, just under the collar.


Cut straight across the back, just under the yoke seam.


Fold the shirt and cut straight across the bottom.


Fold the shirt so that the lengthwise fold is in the middle of the back. Lay your favorite skirt on top, also folded lengthwise. Line up the folded edges.


Cut around your skirt, leaving extra fabric at the bottom to make it longer if desired.


Lay your unfolded skirt onto the front of the shirt. Cut around the skirt, again leaving extra at the bottom if desired.


Sew up the front of your skirt so there will be no gapping. Leave the top couple of buttons unsewn for ease in putting on your skirt. Place right sides together.


Sew each side together.


Cut a waistband that is the same width of your skirt.


Sew the edges of the waistband and pin onto your skirt, right sides together.



Sew the top edges together.


Iron the sewn seam upward and turn down approximately 1/4 inch seam at the top.


Turn the waistband to the inside and iron.


Sew the waistband.


Hem the bottom edge of your skirt.


Enjoy wearing your fabulous new skirt!


1 comment: