Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Pinteresting Easter

Ryan had the past couple of days off school, so we decided to do some Easter crafts, pinterest-style. We started with making these adorable nests with candy eggs. Aren't they cute? Here's the link for these nests: http://www.thecurvycarrot.com/2011/04/07/birds-nests/


The next thing we did was color Easter eggs like we do every year. This year I thought that we should incorporate Jesus onto our eggs, so we made scripture and worship eggs. I actually really love this idea and I'm pretty sure that we will do this every year now. What better time to share the love of Jesus than Easter? We listened to worship music as we created our miniature masterpieces. We used white crayon to write the words and then re-dipped the eggs in a darker or brighter color. You could certainly use any color of crayon or marker to write your message onto the eggs. I can't wait until next Easter to see what wonderful worship eggs we can make.

Lastly, we made cute flower cookies. I also got this idea from pinterest. However, there was no link or recipe, just a photo uploaded by someone. After studying the photo, this is what I came up with. Start with a vanilla wafer. Add white icing (you need to make it very thick to get everything to stick together.) If you need a simple recipe for the icing, leave me a comment and I will post it. Then use a junior mint for the center and M&Ms for the petals. Lastly, dip two pretzel sticks in icing and stick them onto the bottom of the wafer. You need to let them sit a couple of hours to let the icing dry and harden a bit. They are so cute and actually quite yummy.



OK, now I have a small confession. Not all of my ideas are great. For example, we started the morning with a coffee cake that I concocted. I modified the recipe a bit. I didn't think we had any blueberries like the recipe called for, but we did have several bags of black raspberries in the freezer. I thought that surely raspberries could be substituted for the blueberries, right? They are both fruit and kind of tart. They are practically the same color. Well, I was so wrong. When raspberries are frozen and thawed, they get kind of mushy and juicy. They turned the entire coffee cake purple. It didn't necessarily taste all that bad, maybe just a little different. I think more than anything it was just difficult to eat dark purple coffee cake. I know it is just a mental thing, but I felt a bit like a character from a Dr. Seuss book. Well, you can be the judge, here is the picture. Is it too weird for you? I think it was for me.


Have a wonderful, blessed happy Easter everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment